Friday, August 11, 2006

Blowin in the Wind

Well, not really. The past few days I just can’t get the wind figured out. Despite what Mr Weather-loser might forecast, it seems like no matter what direction I ride I’m getting headwind. No big deal. Just one of those minor annoyances of being a bicycler. Plus it reminded me of some good Bob Dylan songs to sing along in my head while I ride.

I’ve been feeling good on my rides this week. Hopefully good things to come this fall. I signed up for Charm City about 7 weeks early to ensure me a good starting spot. I’m going to use that race as a “training race” so to speak. It’s a full 4 weeks before the MAC season starts. I’m going to race Charm with my PowerTap set up on my ‘crosser. As if training for ‘cross is some mystical creature where only using my PowerTap will unlock the secret to being fast. It will, I’m sure, provide a nice set of numbers to base further training off of. I look forward to it.

Yesterday The Wifey and I both had the day off so after I rode in the morning we cruised over to BassPro with Erin’s parents to use up my Xmas gift card. I hate shopping but I managed to spend a little time and pick out a nice shirt and shorts to match. Outside of being a bicycler I really can’t call myself much of an outdoorsman but that place is pretty friggin cool. I guess I’m more of a Circuit City/Best Buy indoorsman but BassPro is fun.

We then went over to City Island and played a round of mini golf. Erin led halfway but completely unraveled after I deftly knocked in a hole-in-one on the 11th. Game over. After that we stopped at a Chinese buffet and gorged ourselves. Erin ate about 7lbs of king crab legs. I took a little of just about everything offered which made for a Bluto-ish type dinner plate x 2. Yum. I typically don’t care for Chinese food. Maybe once a year I’ll get a hankerin for it.

Weather looks nice for the weekend. Maybe a trip to Haars for a good double feature?

3 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for registering for Charm City 'Cross. As a promoter investing a lot of time and some cash into putting on the race I really appreciate racers doing the pre-reg thing.

It'll be a good race and a fun day. We've tweaked the course to shorten it up a bit and make it better...though I think it was pretty good last year too! 8-)

He to the B said...

The course was very good last year, excep the steps were not so much a factor and required a dismount onto pavement. omitting the steps makes the natural barrier & that last little rise even more important. Keep the pave section. That was cool and some people were good on it while others had trouble. That is what seperates cross races.
Hebe

dk said...

No problem Chris. Just in a small way helping Hebe with Lower Allen I can see all the hard work and personal sacrifice a promoter puts into a race.

I didn't do Charm last year but heard good feedback so I'm looking forward to it. See you there. dk