Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Big big taste, part 3

I’ve been meaning to catch up on this topic. Apparently I’m not the only one who strongly dislikes the new Honeycomb taste change. A couple months ago I bought a box of my beloved Honeycombs only to gag on the first mouthful. I sent POST an email protesting the change to which they replied with a coupon for a free box of POST cereal. Thanks, but that was not what I was after. I mainly wanted to voice my displeasure in a campaign to get the old flavor back. To me, this was a “New Coke v Coke Classic” scenario. If enough people bitch about it, maybe we’d get our old Honeycomb back.

Enough fine Americans are so adversely affected by this atrocity that if you google the words “honeycomb taste change” you get this. People are pissed off judging by the comments left here. I’ve been somewhat distracted the past couple months but maybe it’s time to start my crusade again. While I never constantly ate boxes and boxes of the stuff, I did love That Big Big Taste an awful lot. It saddens me to think I may never eat another satisfying bowl of Honeycomb.

I know why POST changed the formula for Honeycomb. To make it healthier. While it had no hydrogenated oils in it before the change, they did formulate more whole grains into the ingredients. I applaud their motives. I just find it was unnecessary to make the change. It was a healthy, tastey cereal. Leave it alone.

It brings up an interesting topic that’s been in the news a lot lately. New York City has banned trans-fats from being used in restaurant menus. On one hand you have to say, “Nice Move”. Americans are fat-asses with hearts that could explode at any given moment. Hydrogenated oils are at the root of all dietary evil. By banning it from food naturally you would deduce that the collective “we” would lose a pile of weight, our arteries would unclog and we’d live to be 137yrs old. Maybe so.

However, just like the No Smoking Ban that’s catching on everywhere, why do we need The Man to save us from ourselves. Believe me, I think smoking is a disgusting habit just as I am well aware that trans-fats are horrible for you. Personally, I just need far less intrusion from the government. I can see it now, fat-asses everywhere will be buying black market oreo cookies and hording them in their basements. Shady looking dudes will be standing on dimly lit street corners peddling sticks of margarine to junkie fat-asses looking for a fix. Please, let us make our own choices. Let natural selection do its job.

2 comments:

midnightpeddler said...

Right on, the new Honeycombs SUCK!

Anonymous said...

they taste like dog food - like some other cereals have gone. It is garbage. I will not let my kids grow up on this. I cannot stand the taste - it is only honeycomb in name. Going back to the store for a refund tomorrow.