Sunday, February 17, 2008

Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken sammy

Old news here but I’m always at a loss when it comes to smoking. No need to rehash all the reasons why it’s no good for you. You know it. I know it. We ALL know it. Yet, it still happens. The Wifey, TLW, and I went out Friday night to The Crapper Barrel. I was flummoxed to hear the hostess ask us if we wished to sit at a smoking or non-smoking table. Never mind that we had a 14-month in our hands. Pretentiousness aside, because you know plenty of folks have no problem killing their loved ones with second-hand smoke, I had to wonder how a restaurant that prides itself on a family-friendly atmosphere would allow smoking anywhere in it’s building.

I’ve always vocalized my feelings about smoking. We tod id. Restaurants should ban the practice. Bars/pubs/taverns should think about it as well. Our government should stay out of it. Let me make choices, I can handle it.

Wegman’s grocery recently stopped selling tobacco products at all their stores. A lot of people freaked out. Even some non-smokers had a problem with it. Who do they, the powers that be at Wegman’s, think they are to impart their morals on me, the consumer? Here’s a case where someone has made a powerful statement to the public without The Gov getting involved. You, Mr Consumer, have every right to choose smoking, however, I, Wegman’s, will no longer enable your habit. Very cool.

McDonald’s still uses trans fats for their French fries. Maybe they could take a page from Danny Wegman, AND the entire rest of the fast-food industry and get that straightened out.

Saturday I worked at the cyclery. I was hugely disappointed to learn upon arrival that it was NOT pancake breakfast Saturday. Seems that’s going down next Saturday. Although, my potential sour mood was tempered dramatically by The Legend making an appearance and subsequently working all day. After work I took my Ladies out again for some grub. This time to The Coliseum. We had to wait a bit so that Auntie Em could wait on our table. Benny showed up to entertain us. Later still, I finally got to meet KMad. She’s a cute little baby. Nice work Thotis & Jules.

Commuting has been rough so far this month. Crap weather and Erin being away a couple days has hurt my percentage thus far. The weather for the week looks favorable. I could possibly get'r up to 63% by Friday.

Jack Shit. You may or may not know him. Whatever the case, it’s how I would describe my activity level today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

move to the city of brotherly love...smoking banned in restaurants. now we need to get k-mad out & try some.

Matt said...

Hey, great blog! Just curious about what you mean specifically when you mention your commute percentages. Is that percentage of days you didn't drive when you could have? Keep up the good work!

dk said...

My commute percentage is basically my success rate. One work day counts as two opportunities to be on a bike. So far for the month of February, I've had 32 chances and have succeeded on 17 of those. Good for 53% or so. Nowhere near Januarys stellar 87%. Time to stop being a sissy in the snow.

BTW, I love your town Matt. Wish I were there.