Thursday, August 11, 2005

Go West, young man

I believe when I last posted I had every intention of making it a regular post. That was 3 months ago. Summer has come and almost gone. Not like I’ve been busy. Other than the bike shop being a complete zoo all summer, that is.

We had a big party here at the ranch on July 3rd. Beer, food, friends, badminton, did I mention food. A good time was had by all.

I bought our tickets for the Vegas trip. We’re headed to the Bike Show for a couple days then we’re going to drive to San Diego for 4 days of r&r before driving back to Vegas to catch our plane home. I’ve never been to Vegas so I’m looking forward to it but I must say the 4 days in SD is what I’m most looking forward to. I love that town. We’ll be staying with my old friend Glen and his wife Lupe. I wish Glen didn’t live so damn far away. Fun dude. I’m going to try to talk him into cruising to Mex to hit Puerto Nuevo, a little village about 45 minutes below TJ. It’s best known for the fresh lobster served with all you can shove beans, rice and tortillas. Throw in a few Pacificos or Bohemias and an awesome rooftop view of the Pacific and that’s what I call a killer way to spend an afternoon. Add in some quality street shopping too (picture a flea market combined w/ town wide yard sale). I bought tickets to see the Padres play the Dodgers in the new ballpark. We’re also going to tour the USS Midway. The Midway is a WWII era aircraft carrier that’s been decommissioned and now acts as a floating museum/attraction in SD Bay. Not that I’m a war nut or a military fanatic but I do think it would be fascinating to see first hand the grand scale of a carrier. Those things are HUGE.

Anyway Vegas will be fun too. I’m going to pack an empty suitcase just top bring back all the schwag.

The ‘cross scheds are all posted. I’m excited on one hand but I’ve been struggling all summer to stay motivated. I’ve ridden more miles on the rode this year than ever before. And it’s still only 8/11. All it’s done though, really, is kept me skinny. I guess at this point, I should send Hebe my annual groveling email begging for training help. I kept last years workouts on a floppy but I’m looking at ‘em and thinking, man this sucks. Why is it that I know what I should do, but I can’t motivate myself to go out and do it? I need Hebe to tell me all over again what to do and when to do it. Somehow it’s totally different when I get that email Sunday night with the coming weeks workouts. Besides all that, I haven’t really decided which races I’m doing yet. I’d like to do the Baltimore race 9/25 but then I’m out west for a solid week after that with no ability to train while out there unless you count a hotel exerbike. Maybe I could do some running. Scary thought. Anyway, Carlisle on 10/15 is definite. Hebe’s race 11/05 is definite. PA States 11/19-20 for sure. Everything else, who knows. I loved Beacon but it’s a long haul and my in-laws don’t live down there anymore, plus the wifey needs to be home Sunday night for a work thing which eliminates all possibility of staying in Cape May for an extra day or two. We’ll see. Hebe might set me up to wrench for the Fort/GPOA team at nationals in Providence, RI 12/9-11. From what I hear they’re a good bunch of guys. VisitPARay races with FlyinRyan and SSwes on the MTB team and has good things to say about both. I met Fergie out at Hebe’s a month ago. Should be a good time. Hopefully not too cold.

Hinkles wedding is 10/29 at the Hershey Hotel. Should be an amazingly good time. Top shelf all the way on that one. Josh and Beths wedding was really cool. Which is not to say it wasn’t hot as a mf’er(it was) but to say that it was fun. Good to see those two. We need to visit them one of these days. NoCal.

Speaking of VisitPA.com. I must say I’m really impressed with what Ray and Kuhn put together last winter. Those guys did a lot of work to put a sponsor together with a bunch of fast mtb’ers to come up with a pretty successful year so far. Nice work.

It won’t be 3 months ‘til my next post.

No comments: