Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Old Friends

In the next couple weeks I will see some friends I haven’t seen in years. Nate will be home, it seems, from Spain. It’s only been since late last year that I’ve seen him but his appearance gives me more indication that ‘cross is near. Someone to talk euro-pro cycling with.
Then there is John Parham. He’ll be visiting PA for a few days. He worked at Holmes’ way back when we were still in that hole-in-the-wall shop down the street from where we are now. That’s been 11 years or so. JP turned me on to some good writers back in the day that’s given me plenty of reading enjoyment throughout the years. Hunter S. Thompson. Brautigan. Tim Cahill. Road Fever is still one of my favorite books of all time. JP lives in Argentina, which happens to be one of my favorite parts of the book. Good stuff. A High Speed Travelogue, for sure.
Last but not least, my old buddie Glen from San Diego. I met Glen waaa back in ’90 when I had my first and only REAL job. Concrete curbing and things of that nature. Hard work. Glen moved to Hanover(Hangover) PA with his wife and little girl to check out the scenery. Glen and I got a job with the same company around the same time. He was somehow related to the owners of said company and I was not but we both ended up being the two clowns no one wanted to work with so they made us work with each other. I never had so much fun working that hard. We drove all over Maryland and southern PA sawing expansion joints in miles of curbing at a time. It’s all the stuff we did to and from and everywhere in between all that hard work that got us “layed off”. I got work at Holmes’, Glen went back to SD, his wife and little girl stayed in Hangover. Now, 15 years later, his little girl is getting married. I’ve been out to visit Glen in SD quite a few times but I believe this might be his first visit back. Then Erin and I will be staying at his new joint in SD a month later. Can’t wait for that trip. Erin’s sister is moving up here this coming weekend. The whole family is back together again. She’s cool. She’ll give Erin someone to chill with.

No comments: