Friday, December 30, 2005

364


Done for another year. We had a good time last weekend giving and receiving. Visiting and hosting. Eating and, well, eating. Much fun was had. I think everyone was happy with the gifting. I was. I can’t remember ever getting so many edible gifts but that’s just fine with me. Perhaps my favorite was a couple boxes of Bottle Caps. I guess I made such a big deal on Halloween about how much I love those things and haven’t seen them since I was a kid. I think I lived on those things when I was 10. Anyway, Erin’s dad bought me two boxes of ‘em.


However, The Legend gets the most points for edible gifting. Being an almost daily visitor to the bike shop he has noticed my love of mangos and kiwis AND cashews(eaten separately). And wouldn’t you know The Legendary Mr & Mrs provide me with a fruit/nut/chocolate basket of delight. Yum.


A key to skinnyness

Little Elwood got some kitty toys to monkey around with. Erin wrapped his gift laced with catnip and he was flipping out trying to rip it open. I got him those fake but real looking furry mice toys. He loved it. All his primal kitty hunting skills were in full display. Cats are a riot.


Elwood giving his mouse the business

So Monday it was back to work for an abbreviated work week. Turns out it was more abbreviated than I thought it would be. I was expecting to work all day Monday and Tuesday until 5pm and then hit the road to Jim Thorpe for a couple nights. Turns out I miscalculated how many vacation days I had left considering xmas was Sunday. Allen, the boss man(owner), told me my services were not needed on Tuesday. Sweet! That extra day off allowed me to ride an hour before we cruised up to Thorpe and still get there hours earlier than we would have had I worked.

Tootpick dispenser

Thorpe was cool. We hit all the little antique/junk/crafts(junk)/knickknack type stores. Ate good food. Relaxed a ton. Rested up for the remaining 5 days off I have before I go back to work.

Today I’m going to nail down the remaining 29.3 miles I need to hit 3k for the year. Tomorrow looks like crap so it has to be today. I weighed myself this morning fearing the worst but again being amazed at the findings. 148 and 9.4. I can definitely feel a softening of the belly but for as much garbage that I’ve eaten the past few weeks I can’t believe I’m not fatter. I won’t argue or complain though.

For the puck fan in all of you. Can it get any more entertaining for a Flyers fan than two consecutive overtime wins on back to back nights. There was one point in last nights game where the action was end to end back and forth rushes up the ice when I commented to my hockey loving wife “how can you NOT love this?”

I took a picture of Elwood from about 30 feet away in low light while he was frolicking in the gift wrap hammering away at his mouse. Check out this picture. Don't mess with little El.

Time to ride. 43 and overcast. It is December so I’m thinking sunny would be great but this really ain’t so bad. Happy new year.

4 comments:

Fort James said...

148! Damn you make me sick.

Maybe next year I will see 158, but damn, 148. 168 was the best for me this year.

Take Care and have fun.

James

He to the B said...

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. All miles accrued after the last race of the year apply to the next year.
You are going to need to do a countback from last year's log.
So close.

dk said...

Did I fail to mention the race I was doing tomorrow morning? Smart ass. Ride Sunday? Kick off the new year?

I tell you what, FortJames. Speaking from experience, you can easily do 158, but it has to start today. It doesn't happen overnight. Eat sensibly, get into a good exercise routine and slowly but surely it happens. I look forward to seeing you in the B's next fall. Happy new year.

Fort James said...

Yep, I started today. It will take time, but it will happen.

Thanks for the encouragement.

James