Sunday, December 18, 2005

Sleep, eat, ride, eat, couch, eat, eat

Today I went out for a road ride with The Legend. I wasn’t expecting to ride as long or as hard as I did nor did Mike but in the end it wasn’t so bad. He was on a Surly Steamroller(1sp-fixed) while I had 20 gears at my disposal. I’ve pondered the acquisition of a fixie but just riding one around the block at Holmes makes me hesitate. It’s not an easy thing to pilot. A perpetual forward spin. As I found out today it’s not easy to ride with someone who is on a fixie. I guess if we had found some flat stuff it would have been no big deal. Where we live, however, is far from flat unless you head out towards Mechanicsburg which is approx 10miles out. Anyway, the plan was for 90minutes or so but ended up 2hrs+ for me. 38 miles. It was a good ride, really. The hardest I’ve ridden in a month. Problem was, with me geared and Mike not, and a fairly rolling parcours, we weren’t very well matched. When I was cruising downhill(53-15), Mike was pedaling his ass off. When I was spinning uphill(38-21), Mike was crushing a 40-17. Needless to say, what was a hard ride for me must have been doubly so for The Legend. If the nickname fits, eh?

One of the beauties of such a long hard ride on a Sunday is the relative guilt free existence I can experience the rest of the day. Food. Football. In no particular order. Lots of it too. I think I ate around 17 Hershey Kiss sugar cookies today. Maybe a half a pound of brownies. Pretzels. Chips. A slice of pizza. The Wifey made some shrimp scampi tonight. Ice cream. Am I missing anything?

How many of these can you cram in 1 day?


I have off tomorrow so I get to do it all again. Weather looks decent. I only need a little over 100 miles to wrap up 3k miles on my road sled. A full 1k more than last year. Between my LeMond and my TCX(‘cross/commuter) I will have ridden over 7500 miles since Jan 1st 2004. I know it’s chump change for some but it’s easily more than all I’ve ridden in the 5 or 6 years prior combined. Nice.

The Wifey wants to take a trip over to Europe one of these days. I mentioned something about a trip to catch a ‘cross race in Belgium or somewhere nearby would be cool and she’s totally into it. At this point it may have to wait until after our ‘06 season but I’m glad she’s cool about it. Where are ’cross worlds in ’07?

I’m watching football on espn(HD!) right now. The game is in Chicago. It’s 9 degrees with a -7 windchill. All that’s missing is snow. What I love is all the dudes playing in short sleeves. Great stuff.

No mas.

1 comment:

The Donut Guy said...

Saw you blog linked on DC, I live about 25 miles south of you...........