Monday, January 30, 2006

Blaaah

A pretty uneventful week. I haven’t had much to say about riding lately mainly because I haven’t ridden all that much. I think I’m going to try a different approach to riding this year. In years past I would ride from April thru September and call it a day after that. Pretty much a fair weather rider. I’d get fat in the winter and spend three months trying to drop back to a “summer” weight. Ultimately, I ended up a terminal fat-ass. The weight stopped coming off. My all-time fattest was 177lb. Once I got serious about getting fit and healthy I rode a lot more and ate much better and riding became much more of a daily routine. I did Hebe’s first CX race and got my ass handed to me in the C race. I didn’t like that feeling of getting womped, so again, riding took more of a priority. Now, at this point, I’ve stayed on my bike for two solid years. No time off. Straight through winter. Not that I was doing huge miles in the winter but every day off I was riding. So, here we are late January and I’ve taken it easy the past few weeks and feel really good about it. I’ve added a couple lbs but it honestly feels great to just chill for a little. A couple weekends ago Erin and I went over to Pinchot and hiked for 2hrs. I have continued to commute just about every day this year so far but that’s more a way of life as opposed to training. I’ve stayed active.

So how is my approach this year going to differ from years past? I made a deal with the devil, so to speak. In exchange for building 4 wheels for Coach Hebe he gives structure to my riding from Mid-March thru ‘cross. Essentially, I will be doing the same workouts as Mike just two months behind him. Basically what that means is this; I’m going to get my miles in, just not right now. I’ll probably end up riding approx the same total miles as last year but with structure the miles will have more purpose. Quality miles instead of JRA. I’m hoping the end result is more power and speed for ‘cross. Hopefully I can gain a couple more minutes during CX. If I could have done the three B races I did in ’05 two minutes faster I would have been at least top five to possibly battling for the lead. Easier said than done but if you break it down to 15-20 seconds per lap it doesn’t seem quite as outta reach. Stay tuned.

Tonight I will begin a countdown. A countdown to a day that’s been long overdue. I know there are some of you who are also on the edge of your seat waiting for this day. March 12th. Enough said. My anguish is this. VisitPA Ray and I are headed up to the Serotta compound in Saratoga Springs, NY to attend a three day bike fit seminar. March 9-13. The 9th and 13th are drive days. 5hr trip. No way around it. Even if we do the drive home on the 12th after the seminar ends we’d never make it back to the ‘Burg in time. My best case scenario is to catch the replay on Monday night, the 13th. I just have to rely on my wife and friends to not spoil anything before I can watch it. Funny thing about Erin is she claims the show is disgusting and horrible yet she will plant herself right next to me and doesn’t miss an episode. If I did my math correctly there are 42 days until you, my friends get to watch. 43 days until I do. Dammit!

Wow, it sure was nice today. Another day of sun means another day without that miserable white shit. GOODNIGHTNOW!

3 comments:

Jackie Brown said...

177? Holy shit. I just looked at one of those chart things, you were Obese! It says right there that 170 and above for a 5 foot 3 male is considered obese!

Fort James said...

177 to 148! Awesome!

The best one I have heard is a cool guy in NJ guy who went from 209 to 150 in two seasons.

I am down to almost my cross race weight from 05 and definately smaller around the waist, but 158 is still a little ways off. I accept that it will take some time though and keep working towards it every day. I will get there by watching the ol' food intake, riding 6 days a week, and core/free weight exercises 3X per week. I feel better than ever these days.

dk said...

Great FJ! It makes such a HUGE difference when you don't have to carry all that extra weight. Baby steps was how I did it.