Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Free Delivery

Things have finally settled down a little at Holmes. The fact that I didn’t work much over the holiday and we sold an ass load of fitness meant I was out delivering shit all last week and the first part of this week. Last week was nuts. I worked 30hrs last week but I’m sure I was on the road 26 of those hours delivering. Not that I was complaining much. Any time I can spend outside the shop makes for a less stressful day. And before I get made fun of for calling a bike shop stressful let me explain. This time of year we are nowhere near as busy as summer. Since The Boss Man refuses to spend any time away from the shop save for a few weeklong trips a year, it actually is hard work trying to find something to do. No cubicle to hide in. No office. Just pretend you’re busy when you’re not. That’s my stress. Now put my stress up against The Wifey’s(Distance Learning School Teacher) or Mrs Legend’s(PA Court System-what do you do again?) or The Legend’s(pimping drugs to doctor’s) or a Heart Surgeon or a Marine or a, well you get the idea. My stress is really nothing at all and I would never let you think it was anything more than a minor annoyance.

So, last Saturday my delivery travels took me on a 6hr trip through some of PA’s more beautiful countryside. From Harrisburg to State College to Bedford and back. It’s not often we deliver something that far away but it does happen on occasion. I haven’t been up to Happy Valley in 10yrs. As much as I rag on PSU I have to admit it is a pretty area of PA. Nice drive. Got minimally lost. No worries. From SC we went to Bedford via the Bud Schuster highway. Imagine the nicest highway you’ve ever seen with exactly two other vehicles on it. A mega road in the middle of nowhere paid for by YOUR tax dollars courtesy of one of the “porkiest” politicians ever. Anyway, it was a splendid drive down past Altoona into Bedford. I’ve never been out past Altoona so it was cool to see just how hilly and rolling the terrain is. I now have a better idea just how brutal the ‘Toona Stage Race must be.

Once we hit Bedford the trip sorta sucked. Who hasn’t been on the PA Turnpike a hundred times. Drag. Nevertheless, I managed to stay out of the shop until closing time. Sweet.

Knowing I just may jinx myself here but I ask you. Isn’t this just how winter should be? Who likes to shiver? We’re all grownups now. No more snow days. No more early dismissals. No more two-hour delays. Who really wants the hassle brought on by The White Shit From the Sky? I know eventually it will snow again but, man, enjoy this weather while it’s here. A gift.

2 comments:

Jackie Brown said...

You are lucky you redeemed yourself by admitting that your stress is merely trying to look busy. And, there's no hiding in a cubicle. My cubicle is grand central station. Programmers in and out every 10 minutes arguing with me because I'm pointing out mistakes in their work. (of course I usually win and it gets done my way!) Wednesday I worked 7:30am until 7:30pm. Sucked. Luckily I work with some awesome people who outweigh the moron factor!

dk said...

If I could only blame my gray hair on stress. Lucky for me someone invented blonde hair dye.