Thursday, March 02, 2006

Shrinkage

Who needs pills-all you have to do is ride on a day like today
Wintry mix. Freezing rain mixed with and changing to rain. Highs in the low 30’s. At the beginning of the week today, my day off, was to be much more pleasant than it turned out. I haven’t been riding much on the road sled. Commuting to work everyday but that’s it. I was really looking forward to riding today so I stubbornly refused to let a little freezing drizzle and 31 degrees get in my way. I bundled up and hit the open roads for an hour. That’s all I wanted. There was enough wetness on the road and drizzle falling that I was pretty much drenched 30 minutes in. I didn’t care. I couldn’t feel my legs the last 10 minutes. I didn’t care. All I wanted was to ride my Tete outside on pavement. No indoor trainer bullpucus. I actually feel guilty selling those things at work. Those things suck. I mean I guess if you need to ride and outside is not an option then, yeah, go ahead. But, man do they suck.

So I get done with my ride. I peel off 10lbs of soaked clothing and notice my balls have disappeared. Holy missing marbles Batman! Today I set a new record for shrinkage. Shrinkage is really kinda funny. I only wish The Wonderful Mrs K was here to witness it. I think she gets as much entertainment out of shrinkage as I do. I could always bust out the digicam but that’s probably a little weird taking pics of my shrunken balls. Anyway, a nice warm shower and voila! The boys are back.

On to more important matters. I ordered a Powertap SL rear wheel with all the accompanying accoutrement. I should see that in roughly two more weeks. This will be my first foray into the world of training via power measurement. Seems to be the way to go. Makes sense. Using an HRM is cool but can give you a skewed view of your fitness if that’s all you’re using. This will give me a much more accurate idea of how I’m improving, where to make adjustments to my training, if I’m overtraining/undertaining, just an immense amount of info to aid and assist how to make me a faster ‘crosser. Good article click here.

I’m also working on building the lightest ‘cross sled I possibly can. No rules against giving myself every possible advantage when the green flag drops.

I’m sure you, my loyal readers, are as thrilled and as happy as I am to see hockey back in full swing. It was cool to watch Olympic hockey but it’s great to have the season underway again. If for no other reason than the simple fact that Fantasy Hockey also kicked in again. Love it. On an unfortunate side note. It occurred to me that playoff hockey will never be the same. In years past, it wasn’t uncommon to see an overtime playoff hockey game go two, three, even five overtimes to decide a winner. I guess if you aren’t into hockey the idea of watching a game go 5hrs is akin to Chinese torture. Now, with the new shootout rules this will all be done away with. The shootout is not without it’s own excitement but the contest is decided rather quickly with much less emotional build-up. Knowing a shootout will be over and done with in less than five minutes doesn’t stand up to the thought of knowing sudden death overtime could be two minutes or two hours.

The Wifey is home and desperate for my attention. Later friends.

4 comments:

He to the B said...

I do not even know where to start. Hockey, blech. Did anyone actually realize it was not being played during the Olympics? 31 & rain and riding outdoors, blech & silly.
It will be cool to see how light that cross bike actually gets.
hebe

Jackie Brown said...

Please take a picture next time.

dk said...

I don't think the zoom lense would have had enough to get anything today. Brutal.

Anonymous said...

This is by far the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Glad to hear that the acorns have dropped. It would be a shame if it where impossible to have a legacy to carry on the DK name.

Crink