Sunday, April 09, 2006

Carl Spackler

I lounge here in my basement deciding which HD sports event to watch. Nascar? No. Baseball? Not yet. Basketball? You’re kidding me, right? No, actually what’s garnered my attention is The Masters. This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become The Masters champion. It is borderline ridiculous how beautiful this picture is. The competition is tight right now. Pretty gripping stuff. I just watched some dude hit it into the water not once but twice on consecutive shots. He took a 10 on the hole. That’s the kind of shit I love to see. Takes me back to the days when The Legend and I would hack up a golf course a few times a year. Good times. Nowadays neither of us play. In fact I believe Hebe tossed his sticks into the trash a few years ago. Last time I played, at Crink's Bachelor Party/Golf outing, I refused to even keep score. It ain’t worth my sanity. Hell, I remember even further back in the day, Big Hink was semi-retired and I was attempting and failing to become an educated man, we'd play a couple times a week. I think we actually got pretty good, didn't we Hink? Anyway, The Masters course in Augusta, Georgia looks like the most amazing place you could ever want to play a round. I think you need a serious hook-up to even think about playing there.

I put in my first 50 miler today. I wanted to do a few sprints/intervals to give me some more data to base my training/fitness on but I just never warmed up or felt comfortable to really open it up today. At 11am when I started my ride it was only 42 outside. I don’t think it ever got above 50 until I was nearly done. So, rather than my planned workout, I settled into a nice endurance paced ride and just kept on going. Fuel? I mixed three ounces of Clif Shot with three ounces of agua into a little plastic flask and downed that midway. Worked pretty well. I definitely didn’t run out of gas. My legs started to protest a bit towards the end but not too bad.

Wow, did the Disco boys ever have a rollercoaster kind of day! With less than 50k’s to go they had three in a 12(+-) man break. Big George snapped a steerer tube(rest assured, Trek is shitting their pants over this) his day is done. That's not something you'd hope for. He no doubt would have been podium before that bit of misfortune. Leif and Vlad get Dq’d after finishing 2nd and 4th for failing to stop at a railroad crossing(????). Nutty stuff.

VisitPARay is out at Sea Otter this weekend. Looks like he nailed a 4th in the Semi-pro Short track. Dude is freakin fast. KHam dropped out of some dog race in NJ. I wonder how the smack will go when Ray and Kyle work together again? Only just the beginning of what should be wonderfully competitive banter between these two. The Legend adds fuel to the fire as much as possible. Fun.

Emily turns 21 Wednesday. Stay tuned for details on where the celebration goes down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

VisitPA Ray here.....yeah 4th was a big suprise in the STXC at Sea Otter. I also gots me a 6th in the XC. More importantly, Nancy got 3rd in sport womens. It was a muddy friggen mess, esp the STXC. Thanks for the attention and hope the b-day celebration goes well. Slap box one for me.
Later.

dk said...

Nice work Ray. I made sure to belittle young Kyle as best I can in your absence. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Full report on Em's 21st tomorrow.

dk said...

I forgot to say way-to-go Nancy!