Sunday, April 23, 2006

Short naps are better

If it weren’t such a necessary thing I would never sleep. I hate sleeping. Some would argue with me that sitting in front of my 55” watching hockey is a waste of time. Maybe for you it is. But, I find there is no bigger waste of time than sleeping. In fact I get downright ornery if I sleep one minute more than I have to. Pisses me off.

It sure turned into a nice day after the rain stopped this morning. I usually like to get a ride started before noon but the weather pushed that back to 1:00. It was still wet when I got under way and I only carried one large bottle of water thinking I’d only do an hour to an hour and a half. Twenty minutes in I could see breaks in the clouds and a ray of sunshine here and there so I decided not to cut it short and go longer. I cruised out to the fabled Col du Whiskey Springs, where I knew I could fill my bottle at the spring, and then back home. I’m glad I added the extra hour because it turned out to be my best ride of the year so far. I felt great. The weather was great. Perfect temp for a ride if you ask me. 65.

Today marks another milestone in my plight against petroleum. I have now reached a full three months since I last filled my truck. I figure I have about 75-80 miles of gas left in the tank so I should easily make it to 100 days. I think my previous record was around 60 days but we had such a pleasant (read: NO SNOW!) spring I was able to commute a lot. In fact, I’m way ahead of last years commuting miles and I should hit 1000 road bike miles a full two weeks ahead of last year. Another week should get me there.

I’ve already found playoff hockey nirvana. First two nights and I watched three overtime games. That doesn’t suck. What does suck is last nights OT game was a Flyers loss. They looked good though. I think they’ll be ok. Just another fan of a Philly sports team. I know, I’m a sucker for the Phillies and Flyers. Year after year another broken hearted sucker.

Yesterday was the first MASS mtb race. I imagine the conditions were pretty much crap. Some guys love crap. Some guys excel in crap. It’s an advantage if you can show up when it’s 45 degrees and pouring rain and you’re happy about it. Mental. I always enjoy reading FatMarc's blog and he had an interesting story from yesterdays race. Man, that sucks. Anyway, looks like VisitPA Ray had an ok race. He finished 5th but had brake issues that forced him to run descents. Might have had a better placing otherwise. Our boy KHam was 10th or 11th and also had tech issues. Can’t wait to here the smack tomorrow at Holmes. The rest of the VisitPA boys had a good day. That’s a strong team they have. Not sure if anyone did Michaux today. Two straight wet muddy days in the woods is tough. No thanks, I’ll stick with my ’crosser.

Aaahhh summer is just around the corner. Hammock time. Warm up your phone Mrs Legend.

1 comment:

Jackie Brown said...

I'll be warming up my scissors too!