Monday, April 03, 2006

Happy Day


As I flip through the channels one last time before I trudge of to bed what do I find? One of my most favorite movies of all time and I'm pretty sure the only musical I have room for in my small little mind. The King and I. Damn, I love this movie. I wish it weren't almost midnight. If anyone is in the gift buying mood this would be one to consider. Hint, Wifey.

Yul Brynner is funny as hell in this movie. He was a busy dude the year this movie was made. 1956. He also was Rameses in The Ten Commandments. A classic. And also he did Anastasia. Not the friggin cartoon. I know there are only so many combinations a man can come up with when it comes to what color your tux/shirt/vest/tie will be on the big wedding day. I saw Anastasia before I got married and saw YB wearing a black tux with a white shirt, white vest, and a white bow tie. Dude looked sharp. That's how I did it. Certainly nowhere near as well. Good movies. All of 'em. While you're at it don't forget to watch The Magnificent Seven one more time. Of the Seven, only two are still alive. One you may have never heard of - Robert Vaughn. The other you may not recognize by his name - Eli Wallach, but rather by the name of one of his most famous movie characters - Tuco (he was The Ugly in The Good, The Bad, The Ugly).

John Wayne. Steve McQueen. Yul Brynner. What is their common bond? You can rattle off a ridiculous number of phenomenal movies these dudes put out. All three died of lung cancer. Knuckleheads. I guess when these dudes were prominent the information available to us now about how lethal smoking is just wasn't there. It befuddles me that anyone at all would smoke these days but who knows, maybe in a couple more years the gov'ment will save us from ourselves and ban smoking. Period. Short rant. I totally disagree with smoking. Don't get it. I hate going to smokey bars/restaraunts. However, I also feel that personal responsibility trumps big gov'ment coming to the rescue. If you want to smoke, smoke. I won't join you. But plenty of people will. If you own a bar/restaraunt and want to allow smoking, do it. I won't spend my time there. But plenty of people will. Only the tip of the iceberg on personal responsibility.

More good news. I lamented weeks ago about the demise of playoff hockey as we once knew it. Sudden death overtime. Play goes on until someone scores. Could be two minutes, could be two hours. Serious edge of your seat stuff. Turns out I may have had bad info on the topic. I'm still trying to find the facts but I heard over the weekend in the middle of the night while an earphone was jammed in my ear a hockey guy say sudden death overtime is still the way it will go. Rejoice. I know you will.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera!

No comments: