Sunday, April 30, 2006

Wanted: Bad-ass Minivan

About 6 weeks ago I scheduled to not work this past Saturday. Erin and I were going to rip out the carpets in our house and eventually get someone in here to refinish the hardwood floors. Well, we got impatient and actually ripped ‘em out last weekend. So, with nothing really too strenuous planned for this weekend, I kinda got a fell for how normal people live. I always get a day off during the week, usually Thursdays, and work Saturdays. Unless I have some special thing going on like a wedding or a trip somewhere it’s just a given you can find me at work from 10-5 on a Saturday. That’s why having a Saturday off with nothing to do or nowhere to go was so weird. I hate to admit it but it was nice.

We went dirt-trackin Friday night. Never a dull moment at the dirt track. To keep a long story short I have two words for you: minivan racing. Yep, among the sprint cars and late models and street stocks they had a 10 lap minivan race. Let me tell you it was f-ing funny/bad-ass wrapped into one. The track had to put a man made chicane on the front stretch just so these minivans wouldn’t carry too much speed into the turns and most certainly roll as a result. It didn't stop one dude from flipping his Caravan about 6-8 times...........on the front stretch.........while leading. Pretty fun stuff. Oh yeah, on Thursday nights they race school buses at Susqy. And I’m not talking about the short buses most of you took to school. I’m talking full length non-‘tard buses. That must be quite a sight.

I got out for 2.5hrs of cycling bliss both days this weekend. Awesome weather for a little saddle time. I finished up April with more YTD miles to this point than any time in my cycling days. And that’s taking into account the 6 weeks or so I was off my roadie from late Jan to Mid March.

The Wifey made some good grub this morning. Baked French toast. I’m sure there was at least a stick of butter in it but damn was it good. Saturday we grilled some pork tenderloins with some homemade mashed potatoes and sauerkraut on the side. Friday we went to KClingers before the races. I’m never disappointed with the food at that place nor the service or beverage selection but it seems like we never go there. It’s gotta be no more than 5 miles from our place. I need to get there more often. Great place to visit if you’re a beer drinker.

I put together the hammock on Saturday and got some quality lounging in both days. Erin fell asleep in it this afternoon. I wish I had my digital camera handy to snap a pic or two of her snoring away working up a good nap drool. It's not hard to get sleepy real fast on that thing. Next I have to work on getting the badmitton court up and rolling. I think we're going throw another BBQ here at the Casa de Kessel in July. Invitations are forthcoming.

No comments: