Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Grundle

We saw plenty of this last night
Last night was Em’s big 21st b-day. Too bad I missed the dinner portion of the festivities at Benihanas. Emily’s family (The Wifey, brother John, and parents) along with Uncle Willie & Susan and Uncle Jimmie & date made the trip. Apparently, besides missing out on some killer sushi, my Father-in-law instructed Uncle Jimmies date on proper chop-stick methodology which did not involve breaking the two sticks apart. From what I understand this poor woman was eating food all night with unbroken chop-sticks much to the delight of all in attendance. Anyway, on to the more important events of the night. Boozing.

I left work and went straight to Coakley’s to bend the ‘ol elbow for a couple before the gang showed up. Kenny joined me shortly thereafter. Once Emily showed up we started feeding her as much adult beverage as the stinkin waitress hag would allow. Nothing nasty. A good steady mix of shots, beer, mixed drinks. But that freaking waitress hag just wasn’t with the program. I honestly don’t know if the wait staff is told to not overly intoxicate any bar patrons or what but more than a couple times I had to go hunt down this chick to get us more booze. We stayed until midnight but because the waitress was a ‘tard I don’t think anyone was hammered except for John. It’s funny to watch what happens to some people when they get a little tipsy. John, at that point when the achohol see-saw drops the other direction, loves to F-bomb in the loudest Williams voice he can muster. Funny. So we left at high midnight. Emily and her friend Danielle cruised over to Gullifty’s for more fun but I had to get The Wifey home so she could ready herself for a 6AM alarm clock. I think everyone had fun. I hope Em did at least.

Fun was had by all

Today I got started on my ride a little earlier than usual for my day off. Don’t know why. Whatever the case, once I got going I couldn’t have been more uninspired, unenthused, or unmotivated. It took me 60 minutes to feel any sort of spark. Not that I felt tired. Just didn’t have any get-up-and-go. If you saw the picture of my road sled from a couple posts ago you might have noticed a rather weary looking Flite saddle. Sucker is 10yrs old. Love the little bastard. But I think wore out about 3yrs ago and it’s taken me this long to replace it. Any decent cyclist will tell you finding the right seat is not easy. I put a WTB on my sled Tuesday and got two good rides in before today. Felt good. Not spectacular but it felt keepable. Today, a whole nuther story. From about mile 3 on that seat was killing my grundle. Abusive. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t get going. All I know is that saddle is not going to do the trick. Which sucks because now I have to try something else. The great unknown.

If I get a ride in tomorrow before work and Saturday before work I’ll be real close to a 200 mile week. Never did that before. Funny thing is today once I finally did get moving I didn’t want to stop but The Grundle was protesting quite a bit.

I wanted to bust out the hammock today because it is abso-freakin-lutely beautiful outside. However, the radar shows some storms on the way and tomorrow looks wet so I guess I’ll wait. Also looks like I’m mowing the grass Sunday. Aaaah, the joys of spring.

We had the annual employee reviews yesterday. Pretty much involves a little pow-wow in the back office with El Jefe. A little back and forth dialog on improving this, that, and the other thing. Make sure everyone is on the same page. Yes, yes, yes. Here’s your raise. Thanks. Hand-shake. Meetings over. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Never, in my wildest dreams, did I ever think I’d get paid what I do to toil at something I love, the bicycle. Are you kidding me? now don’t assume it’s all fun and games at Holmes Cyclery. Work does get done. I usually am pretty wiped out at the end of the day. But, yep, there is plenty fun and games too. I would not hesitate to say I’m pretty lucky.


Jane’s Addiction – Trip Away. Fred. Nice.

No comments: